The Port Coquitlam Heritage
and Cultural Society


150-2248 McAllister Avenue
Port Coquitlam, BC
V3C 2A5
(604) 927-8403

Log In     Find us on Facebook

info@pocoheritage.org

PoCoPedia
A  A  
An encyclopedia of Port Coquitlam's Historic people and places

 

Photos  News Items  Artifacts  Newspapers  Books  


PoCoPedia Index
| Virtual Displays / Articles | Heritage Resource Listing | Historical Book Library

James Park School

Type:

buildings and structures

Description:

The first James Park School built in 1913 was a two-story 4-room wooden structure that was desperately needed to alleviate the over-crowding at the Junction School over on WIlson Avenue. The impending Inauguration of Port Coquitlam and the economic land-boom that followed the CPR's expansion in the city made a new school necessary. The on-going May Day tradition originated here in 1916 under the guidance of Principal Emma Cox. The first school was located on the north side of the grounds, on Coquitlam Avenue, and was Port Coquitlam's High School for many years. The old building was torn down and replaced WIth a second school for Elementary students, which opened in December of 1963. This familiar landmark is being replaced in a seismic upgrade to a more modern and structurally-sound school. Many Port Coquitlamites recall their time at James Park WIth affection, the old and the new.

Year:

1913

Source:

Bryan Ness

Request Additional Details

Google Search the entire pocoheritage.org site



Home | About | Contact | Membership | Support Us | Museum | Archives | Programs & Events | Learning

All content including images are the copyright of PoCo Heritage, except where noted otherwise. Unauthorized use prohibited

Website Design and Hosting by Red Fish Web Solutions