The Port Coquitlam Heritage
and Cultural Society


150-2248 McAllister Avenue
Port Coquitlam, BC
V3C 2A5
(604) 927-8403

Log In     Find us on Facebook

info@pocoheritage.org

PoCoPedia
A  A  
An encyclopedia of Port Coquitlam's Historic people and places

 

Photos  News Items  Artifacts  Newspapers  Books  


PoCoPedia Index
| Virtual Displays / Articles | Heritage Resource Listing | Historical Book Library

Junction School

Type:

buildings and structures

Description:

The first school in the area was opened around 1890 at the corner of present-day Wilson and Mary Hill Rd, once known as School House Road. One acre was donated by pioneer George Black, the other by the Municipality. The small one-room school was run by Miss Belle Dixon, who had 12 pupils at the start. Robert Irvine taught there from 1894 to 1899, his daughter Ada Irvine later became principal in 1911. By that time there was a second "one-roomer" built next to the first one, they handled over 100 students! The need for larger more-modern schools were apparent, thus James Park and Central Schools were built in 1913 and 1914 respectively. As sort of a last hurrah, the Inauguration Day Parade that ushered in the start of the City of Port Coquitlam started from the school grounds on that April 18th morning in 1913. The old Junction School buildings were razed in the early 1920's and a lacrosse box built to accommodate the growing interest in the sport. Mr. Doug Rowland devoted much of his life to the game, as a player, coach and builder, being inducted into the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame in the latter category. He began playing at 16 years old in 1909 and either played or coached for the next 65 years, with a little time off to go overseas in World War One. The lacrosse box at Rowland Park has gone through a number of renovations and updating through the years, and is one of two Heritage Sites in Port Coquitlam, the other being City Hall.

Year:

1890

Source:

Bryan Ness

Request Additional Details

Google Search the entire pocoheritage.org site



Home | About | Contact | Membership | Support Us | Museum | Archives | Programs & Events | Learning

All content including images are the copyright of PoCo Heritage, except where noted otherwise. Unauthorized use prohibited

Website Design and Hosting by Red Fish Web Solutions